Friday, August 3, 2012

Review: Face of Australia Lip Crayons

So by now you're probably already aware that Face of Australia have launched their own line of jumbo lip crayons, in similar vein to the Clinique Chubby Sticks, the Tarte Lipsurgences and of course, the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains (boy what a mouthful, Revlon). These are limited edition, and currently only available in three shades: Cupcake, Sundae and Macaron.

Sidenote: I hope they release more colours for Spring/Summer!

Going on, they glide across your lips better than a lip balm does. In fact, they are downright silky in feeling, and incredibly moisturising. Their scent is not overpowering and definitely not something that would make you cringe so that's a big bonus.

Let's take a closer look:
Cheap and unappealing
Packaging: I don't like it at all. It looks cheap and poorly made. If I did not already like FoA, I would not buy these based on the packaging alone. Instead, I would definitely opt for Australis' lip crayons which, despite being pricier, look classier and better over all. Truly, Face of Australia, it's time to step it up.

Wearability: By themselves, they don't last long at all, particularly if you're eating and drinking. You will need to reapply often. I highly recommend using a lip liner as a base to fill in all over your lips, and then applying the crayons over the top for a beautiful glossy finish, that will leave your lips ultra soft.

Swatched L-R: Cupcake, Macaron, Sundae
Colour Payoff: These are not deeply pigmented. They are definitely more of a tinted lip balm in crayon form. This is another reason I highly recommend using a lip liner underneath; this way you can mix it up and make your own colour combinations.

Use: What scored big points for me (sorry, Australis) was the twist-up bottom versus having to use a sharpener. For me, this means extreme ease of use which means I can throw it in my bag and not ever worry about being caught out. Another big bonus is that a mirror really isn't even needed. Because they apply so effortlessly, it really is like using a tinted lip balm and when you're in a hurry or for those times win you  just don't have a mirror, you can glide these on and you're good to go.

Twist-up bottoms score a big thumbs up!
Verdict: I love them. Kudos to you, Face of Australia! For them to be perfect (for me), I would suggest much better, prettier packaging and a bit deeper colour. There is no reason these couldn't easily compete against the Chubby Sticks or Lipsurgences with a few tweaks. I would definitely repurchase these, and in fact I do plan on it if they release more colours, and I would not hesitate to (repackage) and give them as gifts.

Where can I buy these? You can pick these lovelies up from any BigW for $14.95. I've also been told you can pick them up from Kmart (though mine currently do not carry them) and also Priceline. If all else fails, definitely check the website.

I'd love to know your thoughts on these babies! Would you buy them? Have you? What are your thoughts?

Aggie xx

No comments:

Post a Comment